Indiana Council for the Social Studies’ Distinguished Teacher Award
Submission Deadline: September 15th
This honor will be given to two educators who have demonstrated exceptional teaching abilities in the field of social studies, elementary or secondary. Each honoree will be awarded a plaque and $100. Anyone may nominate a teacher using the criteria set forth below. This is an opportunity to show appreciation for the many wonderful people who influence Indiana’s children.
- The nominee must be a full-time teacher in Indiana. The nominee must be a member of the Indiana Council for the Social Studies.
- The nominee must submit the required forms and supporting documents via email or U.S. Post by September 30th.
- The nominee must have a current teaching license and be teaching that licensure area
- In 250 words or less, the nominee must submit a reflective statement about his/her teaching experience.
- Letters of recommendation from colleagues, supervisors, parents, or students should be submitted with the nominee’s application.
In letters of recommendation, evidence should be provided of the teacher’s strong command of the social studies and the ability to communicate this knowledge in ways that contribute to students’ understanding and intellectual skills. The letters may address the following concerning the nominee:
- Exceptional teaching abilities
- Contributions and impact of nominee to student learning
- Evidence of outstanding teaching and classroom quality
- Evidence of contribution and dedication to improvement of social studies learning in the classroom.
Each letter of recommendation should be limited to two typed pages. In addition to letters of recommendation, supporting documentation of up to ten pages may be submitted. NO MATERIALS WILL BE RETURNED.